Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Dead At The Gates: Part 2

Having just played through Telltale Games' masterful work The Walking Dead, I'm going to be presenting my experience in each episode as well as some of the major choices I had to make.

Caution: The following articles will have massive spoilers for the storyline of the Walking Dead video game.  This is not to say this is how your playing the game would happen, but these are the events that occurred when I played.




Normally, time jumps bother me in video games.  They regularly use the time to indicate that characters have had a lot of interesting things happen to them that you need to catch up on without letting us have the character depth of seeing the events happen.  This tends to be worse in Japanese RPGs where suddenly everybody ages two years, but in this instance?  I'm not as worried by three months.  All that tells me is that Lee now has a jacket and gets to talk to-

Who's this guy?


 Dude, you have "zombie bait" written all over you and I don't even know your name.

Better not get attached to him.

Okay, his name is Mark, and apparently we're out of food.

It appears Lilly's still technically "in charge" since she's handling supplies. That's good.  Military training, sensible head on her shoulders.  Her father's still a jerk, I guess, which I think means I'm stuck with him for the long haul.  Larry and Lilly are arguing a lot, no big surprise there.  But I guess everyone's on edge.

Screams in the woods.  That can't be good.  That usually means-

Bear traps?  Seriously?



So two students and their teacher.  Just what I needed, more dudes for the sausage fest I mean, more mouths to feed.  Okay, fine, I can make this work.  I can save them all.  What do I have to do...I know, cut the chain, we carry the guy out.

...chain's not breaking.  This isn't good.  What else can I-

...oh god, I've got to cut the leg off.

...my controller is lurching every time the axe connects with the leg.  This is rough.  Okay, it'll be okay, we can just get him back and-

DAMN.  We lost a student.  ...okay, we've got the new guy, a teacher without a leg, and one student.  Three people.  ...okay, I can still do this.  It was probably a "save either/or" deal, would've changed how the story worked, we'll get the teacher back and he'll...sit around in a chair a lot.  It'll work out.

...or not.  Apparently I'm going to take hell for bringing more mouths in.  Lilly, I appreciate you're in a hard spot and that we're running out of food and that the game programs you to be stressed, but c'mon.  I can't just leave people to die.  And Jerry...you're really getting on my nerves.

I mean, maybe I'm looking at this wrong.  I'm looking at this as "the more people we save, the better, because as soon as we just leave people to die if we can save them, then we're not the people who should survive this situation."  Plus, y'know, more hands and more able bodies means we can get more stuff done and spread out our influence, find more food, stuff like that.

Carley and new guy have my back, though.  Still think the new guy's a goner, though.

Lilly and I have a talk a- ...man, I feel bad for Lilly.  Maybe if some of the pressure of running this group was lifted, she'd relax s-

...wait, I have to divvy up the rations?

There's only FOUR items for TEN people?

...okay, thinkthinkthinkthink.  Who do we have?

Larry, Lilly, Carley, Kenny, Katjaa, Duck, Clementine, New Guy....oh, right, Mark.  Oh, and Ben, our student...and the teacher.

...okay, the teacher, not so much.  I hope he'll survive, but right now he's out cold.

Obviously, Clementine gets fed.  Number one priority, right there.  She gets an apple.

...gotta keep the kids healthy.  Duck gets some crackers and cheese.

Carley, you get some food because I know you're a crack shot.  ...you're turning it down?  Pretty noble, lady.  Okay, still two items left.

Lilly...you can have some food, too.  I mean, Katjaa seems fine so far, Kenny can tough it out, but you really seem frazzled.  Some jerky will help, and I have a feeling it'll be good to have both you and Kenny on my side.

...oh, wait, I forgot me.  Do I eat?  ...no.  I'm giving this to Larry.  Maybe I can mend some fences or figure out why the guy hates me so much.  Well, that explains it, he knows who I am.  Suddenly some of that anger and the fact that he tried to kill me last round makes some sense.

...I'm still gonna have to live with the guy, though.  Maybe this'll help.

Also, thanks a lot for blabbing, Mark.

Okay, so, let's check in on the teacher.  Katjaa's got news, she seemed to have it under control earlier, let's-

...oh.  He's dead, too.  ...man.

Well, at least he won't be a z- WHY DO I KEEP SAYING "AT LEAST?"


WHEN DID HE GET BITTEN?

Okay, save Katjaa, check.  Fight off zombie, check.  Get saved by Carley...Carley, I'm really glad you're here. So it turns out that you don't have to be bitten to be turned, you just "have to die?"  So...if anybody else dies...great, now I have to protect Clementine not just from the already dead, but from any regualar dead bodies in case they get back up?

So what next?


MORE mouths to feed?  Seriously, game?  I haven't done very well with the new people you already gave me, how-

They live on a farm?  They have food?  ...how...convenient.

So I guess I'm going to check out a farm.  Lilly seems to trust me if she's having me in charge.  That's good.  Want to keep her happy.  Carley's coming, too?  Okay, so if this was a standard RPG, I think I'd have my standard adventuring party of me, Mark, and Carley, with Lilly as backup.  ...I still think Mark's doomed, though.

...so, farmers in a zombie apocalypse.  I bet they're cannibals or something.

Carley thinks I should be in charge.  See, Carley, that's why I like you.  You've got my (and, by proxy, Clementine's) back.  I think that, if it comes down to saving someone else or her again...I'd probably still side with her.

...let's hope it doesn't come to that, though.

So the brothers are "nice guys" who have an awesome farm, blah blah blah, SOMETHING is wrong with this picture.  Just have to find out what.

And oh, there's bandits.  Right, that kid mentioned that earlier.  ...zombies and gangs, this world gets better and better.

Okay, so...wow. The farm looks great.  Set design did a really great job with it.  ...in fact, it even looks too perfect.  ...and their mother sounds like Paula Deen.  I immediately hate her.

Okay, Carley and- Ben?  The kid's name is Ben?  Okay.  They go get the others, Mark and I investigate...ooh, a rope swing to fix.  Neat.  Cute little side mission.  Guess it's time to clear the fence of dead zombies.

Y'know, Mark, I like you.  It's too bad you're doomed.  I'd rather have you than Larry.


Well, I didn't expect it to happen THAT quickly.

Okay, he's not dead, maybe I can save him.  Maybe he's just that guy who joins the group later in the story.  Let's just get him back to the house for some heali- ...the mom's going to take care of him?

...I'm never going to see Mark again, am I?

Hey, the others are here.  ...huh.  Lilly doesn't like this place either.  I knew I liked you, too, Lilly.

Larry...likes them.  I guess that means I shouldn't like them.

Carley stayed behind to watch the Inn?  Man....there goes my best backup.

Okay, some small talk with people...Lilly, you're growing on me when I see you calm and understanding.  Please stay this way.

Guess it's time to hunt some bandits.

..how does a camp work in a zombie apocalypse?   I see a tent that LL Bean would be ashamed of selling and bunches of boxes on tables.  Lots of things from the "Save Lots."  ...I hope I don't have to fight a store full of people later.

...Clementine's hat?  What the hell?  How did her hat get h-


Well, that tells me the "who" but not the "how."

Okay, gotta talk her down, get some info...she knows something about the farm?  Quick, lady, talk, talk, talk talk talk talk talktalktalk- dammit!  Brother #1 whose name I can't remember shot her.

...yeah, I don't trust these people further than I could throw them.

Or further than Clementine could throw them.

Okay, time for some small talk, check things out...Clem, you're adorable.  You know that, right?  Okay, poke aroun- oh, hello Kenny.  Something's past a door...gotta get rid of the other brother so I can investigate.  Maybe something outsi-

...ewwww, Larry flirting with the mom!  Ew!

...so, wait, to distract the brother, I have to disable the generator?  No fence?  No zombie protection?  ...this is a bad idea.

Okay, so the lock's off, door's open and....that's a lot of sharp objects and other, bloody, sharp objects.  ...reaaalllly not liking these people.  I think I just wandered into The Hills Have Eyes or something.

...yeah, brother whose name I can't remember, tell me that you skin and preserve animals in there.  Suuuure.  ...but, you aren't attacking me, so, that's...good, I guess?  ...you know, I bet this game just wants to mess with me.  Oh god, what if this is like the other farm, where we could be safe but one screw-up ruins everything and we get chased out?  Or the paranoia and my shutting off the generator lets the zombies in?

...okay, just be aware, go to dinner and- ....where. is. Mark?

Okay, this is going to get bad.  This is going to get so, so bad.  I'll just...I'll just go upstairs and see Mark.  Or what's left of Mark.  Just have to make sure I don't endanger anybody else...just climb the stairs and-

...I think I just felt my heart skip.  Forget zombie attacks, I think squeaky stairs when I'm trying to sneak around will be the death of me.  Okay, just...go upstairs...room's empty.  Figured.  Investigate a bit more, okay, there's a secret door and I'm sure I'll find a dead Mar- WHAT THE-

...I don't know what scares me more.  The fact that Mark has no legs...or the fact that they've somehow kept him alive without legs.  I- THE FOOD.

Gotta get downstairs, gotta get downstairs, gotta go, gogogogogogo oh god, the screen's turning red, running out of time, running out of time...WHY DO YOU GIVE ME A DIALOGUE CHOICE NOW?

....she didn't eat the meat.  Clem didn't eat i- DUCK STOP EATING THE MEAT.  ...I might be sick.

Okay, now to accuse them of being cannibals an- WHY ARE YOU ALL LOOKING AT ME LIKE THAT?  I AM NOT CRAZY.


SEE?  BAD PEOPLE.

...and dude.  You grabbed Clementine.  We're going to have to kill you three anyway...but you.  You'll be getting it from me.

Now, w- ...okay, I'm unconscious.  This is...awesome.

Okay, I'm back.  Let's see...I've got Kenny, Larry, and Lilly.   ...and Clementine.  Oh, thank god.  Clementine's safe.

Okay, let's find a way ou- Larry, I'm not having this conversation now.  Larry, I don't hate you.  Yes, Larry, I know, you're not going an-

Larry?

Larry?

Seriously, dude?  A heart attack?  Now?

Okay, so, Lilly, bring him back a- ...oh god, Kenny's right, if he's dead and then comes back...

ohmanohmanohmanohmanohmanohmanohman....

Gotta pick, do I try to bring back the World's Biggest Asshole....or risk losing Lilly to a zombie attack?  Gotta think gotta think gotta....I gotta help Lilly.

C'mon, Larry.  Don't do this to me, buddy.  C'mon, Larry.  Breathe, you jerk, breathe.  That's right, c'mon....you can do it...just take in a breath...Kenny, don't do it, Kenny...Larry, you gotta breathe, that's right, you moved your m-

KENNY WHAT HAVE YOU DONE.

...Kenny, the only reason you're still moving is that I don't want your wife and son to be childless.  But I'm not backing you again.

Okay, so we got a way out...just need Clementine to sneak out and unlock the door.  ...man, this is tense.  Be safe, Clem.

...good girl.  Okay, hey, weapons!  ...a taser.  Sweet.  Okay, so we'll just take this guy out a-

WHY DO I KEEP GETTING MY ASS KICKED?

Kenny, save me.  Save me, Kenny.  Kenny, you cowardly a- oh thank god, Lilly.  You're officially my third favorite behind Clem and Carley.  Us four will be the last four remaining if I get my way.  ...well, and Duck and Katjaa and- ....dammit, I gotta save everybody.  I just gotta.

Okay....do I kill this brother?  ...I- ... I can't do it.  I just want to get everybody and get out of here.

...Clementine was watching.  ...Now I don't feel bad about not killing him.

Oh thank god, Carley's here.  Now I've got someone sane watching my back.

Okay, next up...the mother.  And she's got Katjaa.  Just....carefully walk forward...just...gotta get close a- oh.  I guess Mark died.  ....well, so long, hillbilly mom.

Okay, so....a thunderstorm.  Kenny and me versus the last brother...and Kenny gets shot.  Well, that's just awesome.  Kenny, don't die, okay?  Just...don't die.  I kept everyone alive at the end of Mass Effect 2, I can keep you guys alive.  Somehow.

Me versus the last brother, then.   ...correction, me and Dead-Eye Carley against the last brother.  This dude's toast.

...wow, Lee really isn't in the best shape.  Must be the hunger.  He never did get to eat.

...okay, fight's over, mom's dead, both sons are....alive.  Again, I can't do it.  I'm the good guy, right?  ....besides, I can't help but notice as we leave that the zombies have gotten into the farm.

....so, Kenny's not dead, Katjaa and Duck are okay, Lilly...I'm going to have to fix this.  We can't lose Lilly.  Carley's awesome, and Ben...oh, hey, Ben, were you there?

...let's just go h-

...huh.  A car.

...with supplies.

Okay, big choice now.  Take the stuff...or not.

...

Clem doesn't want me to.  So I won't.

...strange way to end an episode, but I guess Clem needed me to take her side again.  ...and I guess the food problem is solved for now.  Not the strongest ending for an episode, but it'll do.

...I'm sorry, Larry.  But I won't let anything happen to Lilly.

Here's hoping I don't lose anybody next episode.

No comments: