Friday, March 8, 2013

Dead At The Gates: Part 5

...there is no hope.  There is simply the inevitable.  This is a chronicle of my experience with The Walking Dead video game from Telltale Games, presenting my thoughts and some of the choices I made as I played.

Caution: The following articles will have massive spoilers for the storyline of the Walking Dead video game.  This is not to say this is how your playing the game would happen, but these are the events that occurred when I played.  But, really, does it matter?  We'll all die anyway.  Does not seeing a spoiler really matter so much?




When I first started this game, I had a team.  I had allies against the advancing horde of undead and the lunatics that now roamed the countryside.

I had friends.

Now...now I've lost almost everything.  The teammates who meant most of me are gone.  Hope has been dashed by the arrival of an army of zombies that followed our train into town.  My health is in a state of flux because of the bite from one of the undead.

And Clementine is gone.  Someone took her.

I'm going to find this stranger.  And I'm going to kill him.  Because that's how it works in this world.  I couldn't save anybody except Kenny and Ben.  I couldn't save Larry, I couldn't keep Lilly from losing it.  I couldn't ave Kenny's family.  I couldn't save Carley.

I couldn't even save Molly, Clementine had to do it.

But I will save Clementine.  And I will make anything in my way pay until I have her back.

Let's play this.

Okay, I guess I didn't mention last time that, before, I apparently thought in game that Vernon took Clementine, but he and his friends had vanished.  Instead, it was the radio voice.

I want to punch that voice.  With a rusty meat cleaver.

Okay, I got my teammates, we need a plan, and we need to get out of here. Zombies are coming.  We've got an elevator, we've got a way out...and apparently I've just passed out.  Great.

Okay, I guess I have to make a big decision here...lose an arm or leave it on.  I'd make a joke about not being the weakest link on the team as long as Ben is around, but...I don't really feel it.

Go ahead, Christa, take the arm.  Just- GEEZ.  I can feel the pain through the screen!  I- that- I- OW.

I'm so thankful I passed out again.

Okay, let's get out of here.  Up to the roof.  It sure seems I have to do all the work.  With one arm, I might add.  Carry the ladder, climb the gap, ring the bell, jump back...thanks for all the help, team.

Okay, we're back and...the boat's gone.  It's official.  All hope is gone.

Well, at least I won't have to make that choice on who to leave behind.  I mean, not that any of us will survive the end of the episode anyway.

Maybe I should just give up.  Maybe we all sh-whoa, Ben.  Way to lay into Kenny.  ...you know, kid, you might just be all right.  ...too bad we're all doomed.

Whoopsie, time to defend the house.  Okay, gotta focus.  Gotta pay attention...it's just so hard to focus after all this loss...all this pain.  It's like...it's like my brain is on fire.


What now?  Oh.  We're trapped.  Okay, up to the attic, we'll be fine there.  ...another fight.  Don't they realize how pointless this all is?  We need to save Clementine.  Oh, look.  Anger found us an exit.  This is the world we live in.  There is no compassion.  There is no concern.  It's kill or...well, kill.

It's a simple way out.  We just jump to a roof.  Simple.  Me go first.

...sorry, I spaced for a moment.  I'll go first, then the rest of you.  Come on, we can do this.  We can get there.

...or not.  I blinked, and now there are more dead.  I don't even know who's still with me anymore, I just... I just need to find Clementine.  Just have to keep moving, just keep moving...it's like I can hear death laughing at me.  It's like...he's in the room, with me.  He won't let me win.  I can't win.

Why does my brain hurt so much?


...and now it's just me.  As it should be.

I have a knife, or an axe or something.  I have no idea where this came from.  Okay, just...just kill everything between you and Clem, Lee.  Kill them all.

Yes.  That's it.  If it gets in your way, kill it.  They did this, not you.  The undead caused all this, they all need to be wiped out.  Yesssssss.

...I found the room.  Clementine has to be inside.

Who's this?

Okay, we'll talk.  It just gives me time to plan how to take you down.  Now, what do you want to talk about?

What do you mean this is all my fault?

What?

The car from episode 2?  That- ...what?

Well, okay, maybe I could have stopped the others, but-

...wait, how did you know about-

...no, I didn't just save Carley cause she's a girl.  I- but she had- see, Doug-

...if she had stayed, then- ....I-....

...my brain.  It hurts.



I- what....oh.  We're fighting.  I'm fighting you.  You took Clementine from me.  YOU TOOK CLEMENTINE.

I WILL CHOKE YOU WITH MY ONE GOOD HAND.  DIE.

DIE.

DIE.

...die.

And stay dead.

Clementine, you're back, we're safe...let's get out of here.

...I spaced again.  Where are we?

Oh.  I'm dying.

...I guess this is where my story ends, but Clementine's continues.  Maybe you'll find...well, that's later.  Now, it's your turn to save me, Clementine.

Don't let me be one of them.  Please.

Please make my brain stop hurting.

Please.














Thank you.

No comments: