Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Review: Thor: The Dark World

I'm torn regarding this new tradition in film-naming where you don't include a number to show that a film is a sequel.  After all, in this time of constant reboots and re-envisioning of classic characters, someone who isn't in "the know" later on might come back and try to figure out if The Amazing Spider-Man falls somewhere between Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, or Spider-Man 3.  Does Captain America: The Winter Soldier take place after the most recent film, or does it somehow take place after Captain America II: Death Too Soon?

I'm not being paid to think of the best way to name films, though (actually, I'm not being paid at all).  Instead, I simply look at a movie I saw recently and discuss what I liked, what I didn't like, and explore a few of the ideas being presented.  The film I saw this last weekend, complete with funky 3D glasses was Thor: The Dark World.


If the first Thor movie was an introduction to the character and the world he comes from, this movie performs its role just as well by expanding on earlier ideas.  We get to explore other planes besides Earth (London, specifically, but no appearance or mention of Captain Britain to my disappointment), Asgard, and "CG Ice World."  The threat itself is also increased in size and scope, as we go from a simple attempt to overthrow Odin to an attempt to destroy everything that is.

If I had to sum up the movie to someone, I'd say "one part Star Trek, one part Star Wars, one part Lord of the Rings, one and a half parts Crocodile Dundee II."

Note that last part isn't a complaint.

There are three questions I always ask myself when I watch a movie.  "Am I enjoying this?"  "Are there too many moments where I come back and realize I'm watching a movie?"  "Is this movie good?"

The answers, in no particular order, are "Yes, Somewhat, Not Quite."

First, let's address the "Yes."  

I enjoyed the movie.  I had fun watching it, I laughed at the clever moments, and a big twist in the movie caught me unprepared (despite the fact it's totally obvious for anything based on a COMIC BOOK to do).  I liked seeing the cast from last time get their own little moments to shine.  Fandrall swashbuckles as well as any Robin Hood could hope to do (though I'm still not sure how he performed a particular swinging leap), Volstagg fends off an entire group of troops with his girth, Hogun... okay, we get, like, a tiny scene with him and he doesn't really do much of anything, but then there's Sif, who... ...well, okay, she gets a small scene as well, but nothing quite as flashy as two of the Warriors Three.  However, Odin and Frigga get some pretty great moments, and Loki, naturally, steals the show any time he appears on screen.  Tom Hiddleston has to be loving this part of his career.  Oh, and Heimdall gets two truly great moments to shine, both in his attitude and his actions.

I will admit, while I liked that Kat Denning being a bit more than just "hey, nice body" as she was in the first film, many of the scenes with her, Jonathan Howard, and Stellan Skarsg- Skar- ...okay, I have no idea how to make that "a" symbol on here.  Something to learn for later.  Anyway, I understand why they were around, but I can't figure out if it needed to be them.  Is Kat's "Darcy" actually a scientist of any kind or just a freeloader?  Did we need to see the same footage of Stellan on a television twice?

The second answer to a question was "Somewhat," and that pertains to "is the movie good?"  There are no real big complaints about it I can really think of, save the movie seemed to be at its best when it wasn't taking everything seriously.  Action sequences were well done, and jokes were interjected at just the right places, but when everything suddenly got serious, it suddenly felt like the dialogue was a lot more stilted and wasn't as well-acted.

One thing I do feel the need to point out, though, is that at certain points it did stop feeling like a "superhero" movie.  Which, since it stars a God of Thunder, isn't necessarily bad, but it didn't come across as particularly "fantasy" either.  Malekith came across much more like a Star Trek villain, entering scenes, monologuing, and then getting back onto his giant spaceship (complete with cloaking technology, apparently, because Heimdall never saw it).  His troops even had "blaster" technology against guys with swords and had face masks hiding all emotion.  If I didn't know better, I'd swear Thor was fighting Romulans.  Flying sequences and chase scenes seemed right out of Star Wars, between the assault on the Death Star and the pod race.  

Again, this isn't a complaint, but it did feel jarring at times when I wasn't sure what kind of movie I was supposed to be watching.  Was it a science fiction movie?  A superhero movie?  Fantasy?  Science Fantasy Hero-ish?

Finally, we have "not quite," which is if the movie lost me very often (which happens during dull scenes or when the dialogue goes on just a bit too long.  See: Avatar).  There were a few instances I found myself glancing around, or my immersion dissolved after a quick jump or something seemed out of place.  There were a few moments during some big establishing shots I found myself pondering what the ending was going to be or how characters were going to be involved, and during one person's "big moment" towards the end I found myself sitting up straighter in my chair going "wait a minute, how did THAT happen?"

I think it was better than Iron Man 2, which I think I enjoyed more than a lot of people did, though I admit that one also had a good number of faults.  I suspect I know what the theme of the third movie is (hint for you Walt Simonson fans: DOOM), though I'll admit I'm surprised we haven't had a Hela appearance yet.  Maybe she'll show up in the third movie as well.

Oh, and as for the 3D?  It was a bit distracting, and nowhere near as powerful as Life of Pi, but it didn't give me any headaches or seem needlessly added on like many films have done.  It might not necessarily be worth the extra money, but it didn't take away from the experience.

It does feel like the cast and crew are getting the hang of the films they're trying to make, and characters feel much better fitted into their roles than before, and more details and depth were given to everybody (it was great to see a softer side of Sif, get a glimpse of Volstagg's family life, and get more development of Frigga), but I hope they remember to a) keep the supporting cast to a supporting role, don't let the wacky adventures of Jane and Darcy overwhelm Asgardian adventure, and b) present a more solid framework for their story so I don't feel like I'm watching one style of film just to get pulled into another without warning.

No comments: