Thursday, February 6, 2014

Erik Eats Cereal: Sweet Home Farm Maple Pecan Granola

Yes, I know, this isn't your typical cereal on the shelves.  However, I'm doing cereals, not just children's cereals.  Now, I know that granola gets a bad reputation.  It's boring.  It's bland.  It's jagged and/or mushy.


But I don't think that's fair.  Granola can be anything you want it to be.  You can add fruit, honey, nuts, different types of grains, berries, or any other type of ingredient you'd like to include.  I've made my own granola bars from scratch and tried any number of brands of granola bars, and many are both tasty and healthy.


So, what happens when you take pecans, one of the best nuts out there, and add delicious maple syrup?


One thing I love is a bit of crunch when I eat cereal.  So many get soggy the moment milk enters the same room as it.  The good thing about pecans is that they don't get soggy, maple resists milk, and oats take a long time soak up liquid.  This cereal is off to a good start.


Flavor-wise, it's everything it advertised.  There's a sweet maple flavor that permeates every bite, and the granola clusters have a good weight to them.  You know, eating this cereal, that you'll feel satisfied afterward.


Now, to be fair, it's not the healthiest cereal.  I said granola can be tasty and healthy, not that it had to be. It does clock in a lot of fiber, but it also has 250 calories per 2/3 of a cup.  But for the flavor, I say it's worth it.  


Now, one thing to note is the packaging.  This isn't a standard cereal box, it's shaped like a cardboard milk carton.  You can open it the same way, and it does ease the pouring of cereal to do it that way.


All together, it's a delicious cereal that costs a little bit more and provides a satisfying crunch.  I give it a nine and a half out of ten, if just because of that higher price tag.

No comments: